Among all the dangers to birds in the spring, one of the worst is fertilizer on lawns. Since most of our birds are ground feeders, they ingest the fertilizer directly or through insects and seeds that have gotten the fertilizer on them. Birds may also have contact with lawn fertilizer by touching it, drinking water in which it has dissolved, and breathing its toxic vapors.
Some fertilizer companies have taken pains to make their products safe. If you want to help the birds survive this spring, check the label before you buy. For the birds’ sake, make sure the fertilizer you spread is safe for them. Ask your friends and neighbors to do the same.
Thanks for caring about the critters,